Sunday, December 21, 2008

Jon: Big Cheese Story

So this is a story dealing with one of my more advance classes that are about 11 years old.  There are three boys (William, Soby, and Dennis) and two girls (Helen and Lilly) in the class.  All five of them speak pretty impressive English for being so young and they are all very smart.  The three boys, however, like to have judo fights and William loves to tell the other two how they're going to marry Helen or Lilly (which is immediately followed by Soby karate chopping William).
Anyways, we we're reading a new story that day as I walked into class as Soby was shouting "BITCHESSS".  I really didn't know what to do or what to say so i just asked Soby rather mortified "what did you say?" Soby then went to the open window, stuck his head out, and explained to me "I said I want 'BITCHESSS' teacher."  I immediately told Soby to stand in the corner and that I was going to call his mom.  He looked rather surprised as did the other students and William then spoke up and said "teacher...it's in the book."  I quickly assured him that it was not in the book and that Soby would be losing all of his stamps (a form of reward system where the students are given stamps when good in order to buy things anywhere from pencils to Nintendo wii's).  It was then that Lilly agreed with what William and that "bitchess" was in the book.  I walked over to the open book that Helen had and she pointed it out to me:  "Big Cheese".  
"See teacher, 'bitchess" Helen quickly told me.  As you can see, pronunciation is not exactly a strong suit of Korean children.  All you can do in a situation like that is apologize and laugh really hard (as well as give about a hundred stamps to Soby and say sorry).  

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Love to keep up with your site Jon! We ready them like it's comedy central at my parents house! Haha! I'm sure my dad will be leaving you comments very shortly! This story was great & has us a cracking up! It kind of reminded me of this fall when we got into the car one day and Nolan kept saying that the car was all fu**ed up. I was rather appalled at his language and couldn't understand where he would have learned that. So I explained to him that that's not very nice to say and certainly not acceptable! So the next day we get into the car and he says the same thing & I thought to myself Oh my, what am I going to do? So after disciplining him again I sat thinking to myself. All of a sudden it clicked! He was trying to tell me that the car windows were fogged up, not what I thought he was saying at all! I felt horrible, but what are you going to do but laugh really hard about it and turn it into one of those hilarious memories! Keep up with the blogs, we love them! I miss you a lot and hope everything is going well for you:) Keep in touch!

Angela said...

hahaha, I love that you took all his stamps away, you american dictator you.